Classical Centerstage Store
Jóhann Jóhannsson: A Prayer to the Dynamo; Suites from 'Sicario' & 'The Theory of Everything Digital Album
A digital copy of A Prayer to the Dynamo; Suites from 'Sicario' & 'The Theory of Everything will be delivered via email after purchase.
Digital downloads are delivered as MP3 44.1KHZ/24-BIT Audio Files.
Please note: Digital downloads are not available to customers outside the U.S.
The double Oscar-nominated and multi-award-winning Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (1969-2018), known for his film scores for "Arrival", "Sicario", or "The Theory of Everything", was renowned for his innovative and unique blend of classical and electronic elements. With his original, profound, and moving works for film and stage, he achieved worldwide fame and is considered one of the most celebrated film composers of the last decade.
“Jóhannsson’s music gives the impression of having arrived in a time capsule from a distant planet that is a mirror image of our own. His own absence now adds further mystery and magic to his music’s unique sound world.” - Gramophone
The monumental orchestral work A Prayer to the Dynamo, reminiscent of a lost symphony, was inspired by Jóhannsson's great fascination with technology. In particular, he drew inspiration from recordings of electrical installations and generators that he had made at the Elliðaár Power Station in Iceland, which are deeply intertwined with the orchestral sound. Furthermore, he was also captivated by the works of Edison, Tesla, and especially a chapter in the memoirs of American historian Henry Adams (1838-1918). In that chapter, Adams described his impressions of the 1900 Paris World Exhibition and the hidden power of the enormous machines he had seen there.
Deutsche Grammophon now releases the world premiere recording of this outstanding orchestral work performed by the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Daníel Bjarnason. The album also includes two suites from Jóhannsson's soundtracks for "The Theory of Everything" and "Sicario", both of which were nominated for Oscars and various other awards, with the former winning the Golden Globe for Best Original Score.
1. A Prayer to the Dynamo: Part I
2. A Prayer to the Dynamo: Part II
3. A Prayer to the Dynamo: Part III
4. A Prayer to the Dynamo: Part IV
5. Suite from The Theory of Everything: I. A Model of the Universe
6. Suite from The Theory of Everything: II. Domestic Pressures
7. Suite from The Theory of Everything: III. The Origins of Time
8. Suite from The Theory of Everything: IV. Forces of Attraction
9. Suite from The Theoary of Everything: V. Cambridge, 1963
10. Suite from Sicario: I. Target
11. Suite from Sicario: II. Desert Music
12. Suite from Sicario: III. Melancholi